Friday, May 19, 2023

 

     Elf Owl peers from fresh Acorn Woodpecker nest hole during the daytime

West Texas and the Davis Mountains, 29 April-1 May 2023

    cactus flowers

After the eight-hour-long drive west, I arrived in Fort Davis, Texas, in the afternoon. Here it was sunny and cool. Fort Davis sits at 4,850 feet above sea level. That’s why it was cool even though I was in a Chihuahuan Desert landscape. The fort, established in 1854, was named after Jefferson Davis (later the President of the Confederacy). Today Fort Davis stands in Jeff Davis County (some things never change).

     male Black-chinned Hummingbird at one of the feeding stations at Davis Mts State Park

For naturalists, the attraction of Fort Davis is the 2,700 acre Davis Mountains State Park, whose campground is tucked in a pretty canyon of Limpia Creek. I tented under a shdy cluster of low oaks, which protected me from the fierce sun.

    Canyon Towhee

The state park is a bird-watcher’s haven. In the spring, birders arrive from all around the US to revel in the scenery and abundant birdlife. Two permanent feeding stations (with enclosed observing spaces), maintained by the park staff, are busy all day long with visiting birds—doves, towhees, hummingbirds, jays, siskins, goldfinches, sparrows, and more. Cassin’s Kingbird and White-winged Dove were the two most common species of the park.

     a shady spot to set the tent

I took my bike off my car roof and used my bike to get around the park in pursuit of interesting birds. Stopping at one of the large observation blinds overlooking a feeding station, I ran into a birding tour group. It so happened the group was led by an old friend from DC, Greg Butcher. I knew Greg when he had worked in the International Office of the US Forest Service. Greg shared some helpful birding intel that informed my birding movements over the next few days. We agreed to meet at the top of the campground at dusk to look for a "staked out" roosting Elf Owl.

    The Elf Owl peers out at night from the nest hole

The park is very birdy. I was kept entertained wherever I went. A group of Acorn Woodpeckers fussed about in the trees above my camp, and another group hung out near the shower room. These somewhat clownlike woodpeckers were omnipresent, ranging about the campground and visiting the feeding stations.

As darkness approached, Greg, two members of his group, and I huddled across the street from the telephone pole with the woodpecker hole near the top. It got darker and darker and colder and colder, but no little owl could be seen. Finally, it was so dark it was difficult to see the woodpecker hole. Then the little owl winnied a few times and emerged from its hole, perching on the telephone line above the road.

    Acorn Woodpecker looking in at the Elf Owl who has taken over the woodpecker's nest hole

It was tiny—just about the size of a House Finch. Of course, this was a life bird for all of us. We celebrated in the dark.

    Acorn Woodpecker

It turned out that this little owl was commonplace in the park. There was one that called each night by the shower house. Another called in the pre-dawn morning just above my tent. Wherever an Acorn Woodpecker had drilled a nest hole, one of these little owls had taken over ownership, even though the woodpecker, at 80 grams, was twice the weight of the tiny owl (40 grams).

     A fresh spring White-throated Sparrow--familiar from the East Coast but not so common here...

I spent a fair amount of time watching Acorn Woodpeckers return to stolen nests, peering wistfully into the nest hole to find a feisty owl hidden inside. What a curious story! The nest hole near the shower room was brand new, freshly minted, and yet here was a little owl in residence, and the woodpeckers on the outside looking in…

     Gray Flycatcher atop a pine high up in the Davis Mts

Greg Butcher had advised me to visit the McDonald Observatory as well as the Madera Canyon Trail and the Lawrence A. Wood Picnic Area, north of the Park and high in the Davis Mountains on route 118. I visited the picnic area my first morning in West Texas. It was clear and cold, the 7AM temperature in the mid-40s. The birds were in full spring song. First was the male Hepatic Tanager, glowing in the sunlight in a tall pine. His song was reminiscent of the eastern tanagers I knew. This bird was a specialty of the mountains of the Southwest. A lifer!

    male Hepatic Tanager in the early morning sunlight of a canopy oak

Other birds at the picnic area included Gray Flycatcher, Plumbeous Vireo, Blue Grosbeak, Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jay, and Say’s Phoebe. Lower down on the observatory grounds I came upon a Townsend’s Solitaire.

    An adult male Montezuma Quail atop the McDonald Observatory

I decided to drive to the summit of the observatory drive. I was able to park just below the 107” telescope on Mount Locke. As I quietly strolled up the driveway to the dome of the telescope, a movement to my left caught my attention—an adult male Montezuma Quail standing expectantly by the roadside.

     Montezuma Quail

I spent nearly ten minutes studying and photographing this special bird. Not only a lifer for me, but without question the bird of the trip, no, the bird of 2023! As you can see from the images, I was practically standing next to this single bird, and it never fled. This species has a reputation of being difficult to locate. I was lucky.


I spent the remainder of the day doing bird photography back in the state park, enjoying my day and thinking back to the encounter with the elusive quail.

    Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay

By 7 AM the next morning I was packed and on my way west to Arizona. I had a speaking engagement scheduled for the following evening in Scottsdale. I took route 118 again north through the Davis Mountains, and I stopped again atop Mount Locke in hopes of encountering that Montezuma Quail. Instead I found a singing Rufous-crowned Sparrow and a Western Wood-Pewee. The rest of the day was spent traversing the desert landscape of westernmost Texas (to El Paso), New Mexico, and southern Arizona.

    The view out from atop the McDonald Observatory

My next blog will feature Catalina State Park, situated just northeast of Tucson, Arizona.

    The 107-inch Telescope atop Mount Locke


No comments:

Post a Comment